Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Most days I wonder what I have done!! Being a stay home mother?? What was I thinking? It would be easier to go work. Here is what a typical day looks like.

6:15 Dalin wakes up and comes out to find me on the couch asleep with Matthew. Of course, he wakes me up and I tell him to go back to sleep.

6:30 Micah wakes up and wants to watch the Teletubbies. He typically also wants to play with the loudest toy he can find.

6:40 Micah lets me know that I need to feed the cat by banging on the blinds that cover our back door. He wants me to open them so he can see the cat scratching at the door. Then the cat can see me and I have no choice but to feed him to keep him from throwing himself at the door because he is starving!! (Those of you who have see Bootsy know how malnourished his is!)

7:00 Matthew wakes up because of all the noise, but was not ready to get up, so he wants me to hold him while we restart Teletubbies.

7:05 Micah drags out his high chair to let me know that he is hungry. I'm still dealing with Matthew and am struggling to keep both twins happy.

7:15 I rush to make Dalin's lunch, convince him to find clothes that actually match, stop watching Teletubbies, and get ready for school.

7:30 Change Matthew and Micah and get them dressed. Then I put them in their high chairs for breakfast while I comb Dalin's hair. If they don't like what I gave them to eat, they throw it on the floor.

7:45 Bryan (my 4th child) who has gotten ready for work and had breakfast already starts asking how come Dalin isn't quite ready to be taken to school. (Hmmm! Maybe because you haven't done one thing to help me!)

**Notice that I haven't had a shower yet or had breakfast myself.

8:00 Bryan and Dalin leave for work and school while both babies wave good-bye and cry. As we walk back into the kitchen, I am still in my pajamas, I still haven't had breakfast, the kitchen is a disaster, and both twins want some one on one time with me.

Well..I'm sure there is not need to go on...You get the idea!! You know what though, at the end of each night, when the house is back in order and my three little boys are sound asleep, I know that I made the right decision. I love being home. I love it when Matthew brings me books to read to him. I love it when Micah sits on my lap to watch Baby Einsteins. I love it when Dalin gets in the car and says, "So Mom, how was your day? Did the twins cry a lot?" like he was 18 or something. I wouldn't trade all of those moments for anything in the world. It is such a short time that our children are little. I'm going to enjoy it even if it means that I don't get a hot shower some days and my house isn't always clean and tidy.

For many years, Mother's Day was a very sad day for me and a day when I shed many tears because I wanted desperately to have a child. Today, tears were also shed. Dalin sang with the other children today in church and as he did, I held Matthew who was peacefully sleeping and watched Micah as he slept on the bench right beside me. They were all like little angels!! I know they were sent to me and I consider them a gift from above. Yes, I still cry, but because I love being a mother and know how blessed I am!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Alishia, I saw you blog on Breanna's, thought I'd check yours out! Cute pics of your boys. Love to hear about your 4th child. I feel as though I have a 4th some days too! Busy morning girl, I can't imagine! Hope the boys are doing better. Richard had a nice swim today, thx!