Monday, March 16, 2009

Purple Toes?

For the first time in over two years, I have had a minute or two, here or there, to do something for myself. Bryan and I have started to date again, I can go to "Girl's Night Out", and can leave my kids with a babysitter (well, a sitter that they know) without too much fight. The twins are finally old enough that I feel like I am slowly getting my life and my freedom back. My kids and husband still take up 90% of my day, but it is so wonderful to have 10% of my day for myself.

The other day, on a Saturday that Bryan and I were going out with some of his friends, I painted my nails. This was the first time I had painted them in over two years. The first person to notice was Dalin, of course, because he was awake before Bryan. He was fascinated with my red nails and why I had painted them. Next, was Bryan, he loved it!! Then, throughout the day, before our date, several people commented on my red nails. I was surprised how many people noticed I had done something for myself.

So, the next week, I changed them to purple. This time I painted them when Dalin was awake. The twins were napping and friends were over. Dalin was again fascinated, but this time the excitement was that they were purple. "You've never painted them purple before. Why did you buy that color?" I was again surprised how much he cared. I simply wanted to try something different, and purple was different.
He was so interested in my new, purple nail polish, that he wanted his toes painted purple, too. I used to always tell him no when he was younger and wanted his nail painted. That just isn't right, right?? Well, today, it wasn't worth the fight. What do I care?? So, Dalin's toes were painted purple and so were his best friend's toes.

Now we call them Dalita and Jamie!! It has been a week and is time to take the purple off, but it was fun for them to have girly toes for awhile. Next time, I'll fight harder and tell him that boys don't paint their toes, but for a week, it was nice to let him win!!

2 comments:

Stephanie Abney said...

Jim let one of our little granddaughters from Pine paint his toenails one day. It was pretty funny. I think he just let them wear off... maybe we got out the polish remover. I don't remember. He does wear sandals quite often. But it was so cute to watch them.

Good for you in letting Dalin just have fun with it.

Varney Family said...

It was so fun for them to be silly together :) That's what best buddies are for!