He fell in the pool today and finally has a fear and respect for the water. I knew he was going to fall in eventually because he was being so silly and let it happen in the hopes that it would teach him a lesson. I did what I have been trained to do after years of swim lessons with my kids. After he went in the water, I turned him on his back to do an "airplane", which makes him float.
I was grateful he was near the edge of the pool and I didn't have to jump in. He was hysterical, obviously, and didn't want to do an airplane. So, I said real calmly, as his swim teacher, Brandon, says every week, "Matthew, what do you do when you fall in the pool?"
All he screamed at me was, "Freezing!!"
So I asked again, "Matthew, what do you do when you fall in the pool?"
He again, screamed, "Freezing!"
After the third time I asked, he finally put his arms out and said, "Airplane! Freezing!!"
So, I brought him to the edge of the pool, but didn't rescue him quite yet. I put his hands on the edge of the pool and told him to climb out. He was not happy about this and screamed, "Freezing," a few more times before he tried to climb out of the pool on his own. He needed some help, but was trying and knew what he needed to do.
When he got out, I yelled to Dalin, who was inside, to bring us a towel. He did quickly and I got Matthew dried off and warmed up. His brothers were both worried about him and Micah kept hugging him.

I was grateful he was near the edge of the pool and I didn't have to jump in. He was hysterical, obviously, and didn't want to do an airplane. So, I said real calmly, as his swim teacher, Brandon, says every week, "Matthew, what do you do when you fall in the pool?"
All he screamed at me was, "Freezing!!"
So I asked again, "Matthew, what do you do when you fall in the pool?"
He again, screamed, "Freezing!"
After the third time I asked, he finally put his arms out and said, "Airplane! Freezing!!"
So, I brought him to the edge of the pool, but didn't rescue him quite yet. I put his hands on the edge of the pool and told him to climb out. He was not happy about this and screamed, "Freezing," a few more times before he tried to climb out of the pool on his own. He needed some help, but was trying and knew what he needed to do.
When he got out, I yelled to Dalin, who was inside, to bring us a towel. He did quickly and I got Matthew dried off and warmed up. His brothers were both worried about him and Micah kept hugging him.
After it was all said and done, I think Matthew learned a lot. It is so cute to hear him try to tell the story. He rambles on and on like only a two-year-old can. You hear words like freezing and airplane as he tells the story. One thing is for sure, he'll be more careful around the pool. Now, for Micah, hopefully he can learn by example. I hope we don't have to put him through the same ordeal.
5 comments:
What a brave and good mommy you are to let him learn the lesson instead of just rescuing him! I know it was so hard for you but am so proud of you for teaching him! Now he knows why it's important to do and 'airplane' in the water...I hope Micah learns by example too :)
Wow - heart attack! I will see how the story continues Sunday... will there be huge lizards or gorillas added in for fun?
You're a good example, I need to teach my girl's that!
You are so calm and collected to take the time to teach him! That is such an important lesson and you are such a great mom!!!
I think somtimes expieriences like that are good for young kids. I is kinda scarey even though you are right there. Hope you are doing well.
Post a Comment