Both babies woke up quite early, so at about 6:30, I fed them pancakes, which they typically enjoy. Micah threw his pancakes on the floor! I was having playgroup at 9:00, so knowing that Micah was probably hungry, I fed him some hot dogs at 8:45 because I didn't want him to be hungry and crabby during playgroup. He threw his hot dogs on the floor!! At 11:30, I fed the boys cheese crisps and apples for lunch. These, too, ended up on the floor!!!
OK, so now I was mad! After running a few errands in the afternoon, we got home at dinner time and all three of my boys were starving. We were going to have tacos, but they couldn't wait for those, so I fed them some taquitos while the tacos cooked. Micah threw those on the floor, too. I realized then that he was testing me to see if I was really going to make him eat. I got him down from the table and he smiled because he thought he had won, but I knew he was still hungry.
So, when Matthew finished his tacquitos, I gave him a banana. Well, Micah got real excited and wanted some banana, too. I put him in his booster and gave him back his tacquitos which I had retrieved from the floor. Now he was mad!! He didn't want those, he wanted a banana. I explained to him that he had to have dinner before he could have a banana which caused him to have a total melt down. He was so upset that I had to put him in his room in time out to cool off.
When he came back down the hall, he saw that Matthew had finished his banana and was now eating pudding. He wanted some pudding!! So I put him back in his booster with his tacquitos. Again, he lost control!! He was sure stubborn! He was not going to eat tacquitos. At this point, he was wearing me down, so I settled on the banana. I gave him one, but he now wanted pudding. He was not about to eat the banana, he discovered something better. Now I was really mad!!
I got him down and escorted him out of the kitchen. I gave the twins their bath and put their jammies on before I decided what to do about dinner. I decided that I would cut up the banana and leave it on his tray, but ignore it and him. We came into the family room/kitchen area and put on their CD to dance and sing to. After a few minutes, Micah spotted the food I'd left. He looked around to see if I was watching. He was not about to let me see him eat something healthy. He wanted to win this battle. As long as I pretended not to see, he would take a bite of banana.
When the banana was almost gone, I snapped this picture of him. What a stinker!! I like to say that I won this battle, but only sort of. He never did eat the tacquitos, but he did eat something healthy before he went to bed. If this is an indication of what is to come, then I am officially scared!
5 comments:
I got tired just reading this post. I have one toddler that drains me but I don't know how you do it with two and still have a smile on your face every time I see you. You are an inspiration. How do you have the energy to sing and dance after all of that?
Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets tested like that! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who settles at the middle ground once in a while.
I agree with Mindi...how do you have the energy to sing and dance after that war of wills? Hopefully this is just a stage and not a glimpse of what is to come...good luck!! And yes, you scored some brownie points with me from the very first Sunday :)
Summer is my challager when it comes to the big time battles! I think every family has one.
what a cute little stinker! sounds all to familiar... darn those stubborn little personalities. we too have discovered that if we put the food within tytons reach and ignore him and it then it will eventually be eaten. but if we ask him to do it.. forget it! those boys are so cute and they sure are getting big!! you ready for more????
Post a Comment